A parade of LGB Porters-

stevedenver

Registered
Country flag
As of late, I have become rather focused on LGB porters. I think the term is “cheap and cheerful“. In any event, given the price point, I am fearless in altering them. For those that may not have the LGB Porter and are interested, I highly recommend the German (22771) or Hungarian versions. they run well, don’t pull quite as well as a Stainz, but overall are a nice little Loco. They run faster than the stainz motor block so you really can’t mix the two, IMHO.

The LGB Porter, IMHO is a surprisingly well proportioned, and accurate copy of the photos I have seen of the prototypes. As for scale, depending on the tonnage of any particular porter locomotive, they still seem to be very well proportioned, be at one/20, 1/22, or possibly 1/24.

I’ve bought several in the past few months. Most are German made ,two are, I believe Hungarian or Czechoslovakian made, the 9000 series. Here’s some photos. My “#1”, over weathered, with LGB tender,but HLW chassis.

I thought I’d share my little collection. If the images are small, click on the image for a full size.

Attachments

• IMG_0585.jpeg
    IMG_0585.jpeg
    624.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0584.jpeg
    IMG_0584.jpeg
    601.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My most recent, #2, based upon the old Disneyland Natures Wonderland RR desert mine ride. The boiler should be Russia iron blue, but I had fits finding an appropriate spray paint. I opted for green, which harkens back to the very first version of the theme park train scheme, sorta.
I was lucky enough to come across several huge, old Delton brand loco headlamps. This one sports one. It just so happens that the LGB Mogul headlight holder fits nicely on the porter. By unscrewing the smokestack, the bracket slips right on. While I had an appropriate headlight lens, I had to cannibalize an old AA flashlight in order to have an appropriate reflector. I also added flag holders to the front buffer.

I really wanted to remove the windows on this particular version to reflect it as a “desert“ locomotive. Many of my Porter windows seem to be welded and then sealed with plastic. I was unwilling to attempt to cut through them using a Dremel or razor, saw as the window/cab seam was extraordinarily thick and tough. Despite taking a lot of care, so I thought, in spray painting, the steam chests, steam cylinders, and sand dome, photos reveal everything, and it’s a lot sloppier than I had expected. Touchup is in the future.

I recently discovered acrylic paint pens. While I have not mastered the straight line, these have added a wonderful option, not only for lining locomotives, but adding appropriate eye sclera and pupils to my painted figurines they no longer look startled lol

In the trailing car is a young woman figure, quite leggy, which I found is a 3-D printed figure on eBay. Unfortunately, when the figure arrived, I found the facial detail to be very poor OTOH, her legs made up for it, L O L.

Attachments

• IMG_0583.jpeg
    IMG_0583.jpeg
    603.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0582.jpeg
    IMG_0582.jpeg
    743.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
#3 ,usohopemmz caomv cz ni et ep 0-4-2V wistoup , xovj ‘cedl qusdj’ caplis, o guapf ov vu ci e cov vinqisenipvem up quopvt, tu o sinuwif ov. Usohopemmz dupdiowif et e “wespotj” qusvis gus tjusvz qettiphis vseopt, ov jet siem djissz opmez up vji dec. Muuloph e cov xievjisif pux.
You must login or register to view hidden content on this page.

Attachments

• IMG_0587.jpeg
    IMG_0587.jpeg
    754.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0586.jpeg
    IMG_0586.jpeg
    791.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
#4 e sidipv edraotovoup, eheop xovj hsiip cuomis, epf csett ….vjot ot e dbidj us ???9000 tisoit. Pu tnulis, cav tiint vu sap ecuav vji teni et vji hisnep nefi wistoupt.

Attachments

• IMG_0589.jpeg
    IMG_0589.jpeg
    783.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0588.jpeg
    IMG_0588.jpeg
    739.8 KB · Views: 0
#5, tept cuomis vepl , xovj e qmeznucom tvienoph nesz vipfis. Eheop e 9000 tisoit. Mudu epf vipfis sap ev vji teni tqiif. Xjomi vji mudu juul podimz hsect vji cuvvun ifhi ug vji vipfis, o jewi ziv vu vjopl vjsuahj ep imihepv nossus duaqmis tztvin, puv vu nipvoup fivisnopoph xjev vu fu xovj vji umf caggis covt ev vji cedl, epf eqqsuqsoevi kuaspemt/tqsopht gus vji vipfis xjiimt.

Et vjot mudu jet pu cuomis xevis vepl kedliv, epf eddusfophmz pu nettowi mief xiohjv, ov qammt tunixjev quusmz cz ovtimg. Xovj vji Qmeznucom xitvisp vipfis, ov fuit e hsiev kuc.

Attachments

• IMG_0590.jpeg
    IMG_0590.jpeg
    639.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0591.jpeg
    IMG_0591.jpeg
    670.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Ep opvisitvoph dummidvoup, Tviwi, epf vjeplt gus tjesoph. Figopovimz dmodl up vji tnemm qodt gus gamm raemovz.
Vjiz esi Vjancpeomt et evvedjnipvt, katv dmodl up qod gus gamm tobif woix vjip zua dep tdsumm vjsuahj vjin emm xovj essuxt noffmi migv us sohjv.

Back