Coach roof removal

HobbitFertang

Registered
18 Jun 2024
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
How do I remove the roof of an RhB passenger coach (e.g. LGB 30510, 30512 etc)?

Attachments

• LGB_30512.jpg
    LGB_30512.jpg
    928.1 KB · Views: 0

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Sir!

Most roofs on LGB stock just clip on, but I'm not quite sure about the RhB coaches.

I doubt that they are screwed on though, so try to grip the roof and gently twist on one side, keeping the other side in place....

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
If these are like the Earlier generation of Lgb rhb coaches then do the following:

At one end open both doors,
Put fingers in and push upwards
Repeat at other end,

It’s illustrated in an instruction sheet somewhere,

Dan

HobbitFertang

Registered
18 Jun 2024
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Sir!

Most roofs on LGB stock just clip on, but I'm not quite sure about the RhB coaches.

I doubt that they are screwed on though, so try to grip the roof and gently twist on one side, keeping the other side in place....
Thanks Gizzy, I'll try that. The instruction leaflet suggests pushing a screwdriver through the open door and up inside the roof where there's a small circular opening in the internal plastic moulding (as suggested in an earlier post) , but I haven't had any luck with that. I don't want to apply too much force!

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Gizzy, I'll try that. The instruction leaflet suggests pushing a screwdriver through the open door and up inside the roof where there's a small circular opening in the internal plastic moulding (as suggested in an earlier post) , but I haven't had any luck with that. I don't want to apply too much force!
You'll be fine. LGB is pretty much bombproof. Dan has also suggested a good technique....

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
There are six locating clips within the roof three each side, inboard of the doors and the ctr of the coach.
What I do is the open the doors and push out the side and pop the roof one at one end then use a thin piece of wood (Lolly stick) to ease along the side to the other end,
then pop the other side in the same way.
It's not the way the instruction show, they show doing both sides at one end at the same time,too faffy for me, and I have never got it to work, so my method works for me.

Last edited:

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Instead of wood or lollipop sticks I use plastic glue spreaders from a general hobby shop. Being soft plastic they are flexible so do not damage the plastic of the model and there is no chance of them snapping.There again I suppose that if you snap anything then the technique is possibly wrong.