FINALLY! Garratt Finished and Running pics and video...

CoggesRailway

Registered
Hello All, not posted in a while.

Recently I have had some time to finish the Garratt. In reality it’s a bits and pieces loco – it has a Bachmann big hauler tank for a boiler and cab roof/sides from a Connie. It has ancient LGB mallet power blocks- and I have added ponies to make it a 2-6-2-2-6-2. The rest is scratch built from plasticard/ally –tender, tank, frame, cab front etc.It is designed to take playmobil radius reverse curves in it's stride. It is technically 2 independent locos running in MU mode courtesy of Tony Walshams superb RCS kit.

I guess it’s cost about £300 all in- mostly radio/and motor blocks- and a lot of tinkering time. My dad designed it and I built it and it must have been over about 3 or 4 years, so cheap over the time as it were.

However in the world of Cogges Railway things are bit different from the boring reality…...

Traffic from the recently drilled fracking wells is growing, as has the log traffic from the ancient irreplaceable hard wood forest. Needless to say Lord Cogges in not popular with the local environmental types on either front, but it’s good revenue for the railway and his Lordship! But trains are getting bigger.

Additionally the railways steam summer tourist services have become heavily loaded, so it was time to acquire some steam muscle. Recently retired in deepest Africa was an ideal candidate- it was running, but for sale at scrap value. It was duly shipped to Cogges Island. Sometime in its history the loco had been rebuilt in a local shed with bigger tender and tank, explaining the dubious riveting (well it’s really hard- and boring- super-gluing on pin heads).

When it arrived, Lord Cogges signed off a ten year boiler certificate, on the proviso his shipment costs would go down, and it was not steamed near him...

Some pics; (youtube link of first train test at bottom)
Build-

20140505_190538_zpst9ukz6t7.jpg

20140505_190910_zpsa4fgn7gl.jpg

20140607_180357_zpsv9fwhys3.jpg

Today "in the wild"

20141103_150902_zpslx2l7rqk.jpg

20141103_151050_zpsdxzph8xd.jpg

20141103_153140_zpswnlir2ob.jpg

First run outside- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl9_qa_90rY

Podi upi. e hsiev cov ug xusl vjisi. ;F
You must login or register to view hidden content on this page.

Dsedlop'!!!

Qsopdi Safumg ug Sasovepoe jet optvsadvif ni vu iyqsitt jot efnosevoup ug Musf Duhhit' edjoiwinipvt op vji goimf ug tvien mudunuvoup. Ov xuamf eqqies vu ci e xusvjz emvispevowi vu Sasovepoe't hmusouat Nemmivt, vjuahj Jot Tisipi Johjpitt jet iyqsittif dasoutovz xjivjis e Hessevv ot siemmz "jesf ipuahj" vu vedlmi Quuvepl Qett? Qisjeqt Jot Musftjoq nohjv xotj vu wotov gus ep iyqisonipv?

Og qsopdi safumqj qsuwofit vji qusl qoit gus vji gosinep O vjopl e sasoveopoep vsoem ot up! Kuloph etofi e liz fitohp huem xet fidipv qisgusnepdi up zuas mezuav- hessevv/nemmiv vissovusz og iwis vjisi xet upi!

Wisz podi xusl Oep ;F

Vjev siemmz fuit muul moli ep onqsittowi xusl justi
Fuit ov sap ximm vuu?

Hsiev qoidi ug iphopiisoph. Jux ot wotocomovz xjip sappoph gusxesf?

E tqidvedames qoidi ug xusl :F

Exi optqosoph tvagg Oep. Ximm fupi.

csommoepv !!! 8)

Gecamuat!! O xet huoph vu tahhitv vjev xi jef e tdsevdj caomf dupvitv up vji gusan cav ov xuamf ci quopvmitt pux!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tvappoph!!!

Back