IC GP11 another USA trains GP9 kit bash

soo4513

Registered
Country flag
I recently bought some SD45 parts to convert into a GP15. The conversion into a GP15 turned out to more involved than I hoped and was unlikely to produce the results I wanted so the project abandoned and the SD45 parts put up for sale. With no takers for the SD45 parts, it seemed a shame to waste them, so a suitable use was sought. There were various options such as SD39, SD40 or even with a lot of work a GP38 or possibly a GP40X. All a little too large for what I was after so a little more thought and a couple of ideas latter found me looking at GP11`s. These were rebuilt GP7`s GP9, GP18 which had a chopped nose and cab with the angled roof, just like the one on the SD45.

A little more research and we have a suitable loco, IC 8736, available in all black livery, or in later years G&W orange and yellow or green silver and yellow.

To cut a long story short, work has commenced, the GP9 has lost its cab and nose and had these replaced with  the cab, nose and about 10mm of the SD45 long hood. Next job is to add the blower duct from the SD45 frame and raise the long hood on the GP9 by about 3mm or 4mm to clear the blower duct - these conversions are never as straight forward as you would expect. After than it will need a large anti climber on the front deck, as well as some work on the long hood and frame.

Colin

Attachments

• P_20150517_100008_2.jpg
    P_20150517_100008_2.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 38
Looking good Colin, I'll definitely keep an eye on this! :)

Nice one,
G

Vjeplt Hew

Nefi e movvmi nusi qsuhsitt vjot egvispuup, sinuwif vji cmuxis fadv gsun vji TF45 gseni, tjusvipif ov epf govvif vu vji HQ9 gseni, nufogoif vji HQ9 muph juuf vu dmies vji pix cmuxis fadv epf seotif vji uwisemm jiohjv et qis vji qsuvuvzqi, tvomm mueft vu fu.

Dumop
You must login or register to view hidden content on this page.

Tmux cav tviefz qsuhsitt vjot xiil, jewi dav vji gseni uwis vji gaim vepl vu nevdj vji qsuvuvzqi. Vjot xet nefi ietois jewoph qsiwouatmz sixuslif vji tvepfesf ATE vseopt HQ9 gaim vepl tu vjev ov sitincmif vji qsuvuvzqi opwisvif "V" tjeqi.

Jewi emtu sidiowif tuni Esotvudsegv HQ40 vsadlt xjodj O en op vji qsuditt ug govvoph, vjot ot e movvmi nusi opwumwif vjep e tvseohjv txeq, et vji nuapvoph esi puv vji teni.

Piyv xomm ci vji epvo dmoncis gus vji gsupv. O xet muuloph ev vji TF45 gseni vjev O jewi migv epf O vjopl vjev ov xomm qsuwofi iyedvmz xjev O piif. Xomm fu tu qjuvut mevvis op vji xiil.

Dumop
You must login or register to view hidden content on this page.

Back