curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
Jersey
Is there anyone who could offer some guidance on resetting the old LGB 55021s? I've attempted to factory reset 2 of them, but it seems that my efforts are not yielding the desired results (my indictor is that CV1 isn't defaulting back to 3 and instead keeping the original loco address)

I had a look at the manual (via onlytrains.com) which says CV55 should be set to 55. This writes successfully but doesn't seem to reset. I then saw that in some systems you had to set CV6 to 55 (to register it as CV55 you want to write to) and then CV5 to 55 (to write that value to CV55). That doesn't seem to have taken either.

I'm sure the problem is with the user (me), but I haven't yet worked out why.

To confirm, there is a load on the decoder (a loco/motor) with no other components attached.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Can you read the version of the software?

PhilP

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
What system are you using to do this?
What programming type are you trying to use? - Programming track? POM?

PhilP

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Are you *sure* this is not a Massoth L?
The fact you have 2.5 and 2.8 firmware versions would suggest this.

If it is, then 'reset' is write the values to CV7.

PhilP

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
Jersey
They're all labelled on the board as LGB 55021 - in fact, they're the ones you sent me so unless you gave me a free upgrade, I'm sure.

It seems the address value is directly writable - I just find it odd that I can't get it to take a reset. I'll try POM this evening to see if that's any different.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
They are what I have..
Massoth made much of LGB's decoders, so they might have Massoth firmware?

I am not a fan of POM..
Especially with older decoders etc.

What do you get if you read the manufacturer, CV8?

Massoth should return 123.
LGB should return 159.

PhilP

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
Jersey
I had a look, I'm getting 123 from CV8 on two of the decoders (I didn't check the others). It is physically the 55021 though.

However, if I try to write to CV7 (Any of 7, 55, 66, 77) I get an error which suggests that CV is read-only?

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I had a look, I'm getting 123 from CV8 on two of the decoders (I didn't check the others). It is physically the 55021 though.

However, if I try to write to CV7 (Any of 7, 55, 66, 77) I get an error which suggests that CV is read-only?
This may be your CS is expecting to read / get-returned, the value you are 'writing' to the decoder.
CV7 returns the firmware version number, but the decoder should perform the reset.

Did you check CV1, post the reset?

Even if the firmware is 'new' enough to have decoder lock, I believe a CV7 reset should work? - A while since I have played with this.

PhilP

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
Jersey
Yeah, CV1 is my check for the reset working. That's what I was wondering. I did eventually try it with POM but with the same effect (or lack of)

Oh well, Phil. I really appreciate the advice. I think you're spot on as I also read The Shed The Shed 's site and he offered the same summary. I'm assuming it is my system in some way.

Last edited:

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
It may mean you have to do things 'long hand', one CV at a time?

The problem is, although there is a standard, it is how it has been implemented by the particular manufacturer, and what, if any, assumptions they have made..

PhilP

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
Jersey
It may mean you have to do things 'long hand', one CV at a time?

The problem is, although there is a standard, it is how it has been implemented by the particular manufacturer, and what, if any, assumptions they have made..

PhilP
Yeah, normally when I get a decoder I start with a -reset- (new or second hand) just for simplicity. In this case, these are just for Thomas & friends so I only really need to sort the basic settings (loco address, speed steps, max voltage) so not too much of an issue. Don't even have lights/smoke (yet) so all good. Just thought I'd try at the start.

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Best answers
England
CV55* (CV6* & CV5*) Reset option, these were disabled many moons ago, both Massoth & MD use CV7 for a Reset, Massoth now also use CV8 as the option on the 10FX Decoder.
*MD use these for various other configurations.

Massoth 10FX.jpg

Much of the original LGB documentation is well past their sell by date, as the information contained in them were written for old legacy MTS equipment.

As below decoder template updated from the original, created using the Massoth Service Tool, to Read /Write to a LGB 55021 Decoder.

mXion Tool for XML Templates.jpg

The Massoth Service Tool Program is a free download direct from the Massoth site.

Once downloaded and installed, go to the directory, and open config, then Decodertemplate, and copy the LGB_55021_000.xml file to your own Documents directory, then using the option Open decodertemplate XML (see above for reference), whilst the original Massoth Decoder Template is somewhat out of date in respect of CV's and Info, it is a least a starting point to investigate and configure the various LGB 55021 decoders you have.

Massoth.jpg

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Can any of the other 'tools' make use of these xml files?
Thinking perhaps JMRI / Sprog / decoder pro?

PhilP