Madrid Railway Museum.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
Country flag
Merlin posted this in the coffee lounge. I re-post it here because i think it may be a thread worth continuing.

Just got back from the Madrid Railway Museum; quite interesting, but a little disappointing when you compare it with York. However, it appears to be run by volunteers with the obvious limitations that imposes. Most of the steam locos were quite clearly in very poor condition when salvaged and preservation has consisted of a paint job and little more. The museum is housed in the former Delicias Station. www.museodelferrocarril.org/en/principal.asp
There is an outside area, to which the public do not have access, but several "works-in-progress" can be seen out there, along with a semaphore signal gantry and a signal box. There are also 3 model railways none of which were operating. The passenger carrying (7" gauge or thereabouts) garden railway was operating with several battery powered diesel and electric outline "standard" gauge locos, a pair of NG diesels operating in tandem and a rather nice live steam NG 0-4-0T.
There are quite a few exhibits in side rooms depicting various aspects of Spanish railway equipment and practices; unfortunately all the captions are in Spanish only. There are various models on display including a display of large scale models, locos and rolling stock, which appears to have been bequeathed or donated to the museum. The incredible thing about these models is they appear to constructed almost entirely from wood, including the wheels and motion. The builder's tools form part of the exhibit.
If you happen to be in Madrid with a couple of hours to kill it is probably worth a visit, but I do not recommend driving there as parking is very limited; I was lucky, somebody left as I got there. There is garage parking nearby but after driving round the block 4 times trying to find it, I determined that the closed steel shutters i kept driving past was in fact the entrance, but closed on Sundays!

Nice report. Looking at the Vapour there is a lovely little Sharpie that would not look out of place on the Isle of Wight except for the Larger Gauge. Back in 1971 I visited Miranda Shed and saw 7 of the Superb Big Green 4-8-4's (with Geman Smoke Deflectores) on the Sidings off of a Turntable. Magnificent sight. In 1974 I was lucky enough to see a one of them running at Castehon on 2 different days. Sadly the same one, but what a sight.

JonD
You must login or register to view hidden content on this page.

Back