Mouse damage

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
When I was setting up the other day, I found that one of the electrically operated points behind the workshop had ceased functioning. I suspected the LGB point motor had succumbed - after all it had been there for fifteen years. I replaced it but still no joy. Sod's Law applied - it is the point furthermost from my Deltang RC triggered control box in the leanto by the back door - a run of about 30m. The control box was tested and it was fine so it had to be the cable The two core mains rated cable has also been buried for fifteen years so I dreaded having to track the fault. I traced it back from the motor about eight metres. Still no power in it. I then plunged into the hedge to try and dig it up - this was a nightmare, so I decided to switch to the control box end. Wise move! Where the cable emerged from the leanto it was neatly severed. Closer examination revealed teeth marks.

IMG_20240624_195109_018.jpg

It seems the little blighters (polite version) had decided to widen the hole into the brickwork of the leanto by nibbling the pesky cable out of the way.

It was a bit of struggle threading a new length of cable through the hole and soldering it in place but it's now working ok. I've filled the gaps in the hole around the cables ( seven run through it) with silicone sealant. I've heard our rodent friends don't like the taste - I do hope it's true ....

Rik

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
When we had rabbits they chewed through so many cables that I gave up on electric control of my points and reverted to manual.IMGP8829.JPG

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
When I was setting up the other day, I found that one of the electrically operated points behind the workshop had ceased functioning. I suspected the LGB point motor had succumbed - after all it had been there for fifteen years. I replaced it but still no joy. Sod's Law applied - it is the point furthermost from my Deltang RC triggered control box in the leanto by the back door - a run of about 30m. The control box was tested and it was fine so it had to be the cable The two core mains rated cable has also been buried for fifteen years so I dreaded having to track the fault. I traced it back from the motor about eight metres. Still no power in it. I then plunged into the hedge to try and dig it up - this was a nightmare, so I decided to switch to the control box end. Wise move! Where the cable emerged from the leanto it was neatly severed. Closer examination revealed teeth marks.

It seems the little blighters (polite version) had decided to widen the hole into the brickwork of the leanto by nibbling the pesky cable out of the way.

It was a bit of struggle threading a new length of cable through the hole and soldering it in place but it's now working ok. I've filled the gaps in the hole around the cables ( seven run through it) with silicone sealant. I've heard our rodent friends don't like the taste - I do hope it's true ....

Rik
Another option is to stuff wire wool in the hole then your sealant option. Having lots of problems around with mice n rats, reading all the options out there.

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

Rik
Yep, rats or mice, they like to chew cables :nod::nod: don't ask me why :mm::mm:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, rats or mice, they like to chew cables :nod::nod: don't ask me why :mm::mm:
We are always finding the dessicated corpses of rodents in our meter boxes. Apparently, their death by 415 Volts is instantaneous. Luckily we're supplied with gloves to scrape them off

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I believe it is to sharpen their teeth, how they know metal us in the wire is anyones guess. Long time training I guess, in days of old Railway Signalling wire was coated in Arsenic to discourage Rats, signal engineers were taught under no circumstances to strip wire with their teeth! Presumably also when dealing with wire to wash hands thoroughly before eating their bate.