Southern Pacific narrow-gauge 4-6-0

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
After several years absence from largescale kitbashing,  a recent annie purchase has encouraged me to continue with a project started several years ago.  It seems like an eternity ago I built the whale tender and body for the project.  The boiler itself comprises about eight body sections joining pieces cut from Annie boilers plus the odd bit of water pipe.

Yesterday my recently purchased Annie arrived and I immediately started the teardown process.  Then started the work with the Dremel to get the chassis to fit the body.  Once this was done the rebuild commenced resulting in a running loco late last night.  As yet I need to paint the loco and clearcoat the tender to dull it down a little.

Normally,  I would fit tender wheel power pickups,  but due the tender being built as a one piece chassis/body,  I do not have access to the interior.  During the build I did insert wires to enable an operating headlamp on the tender,  but may just leave it as a non operative accessory.  I am not that overly enthused being back into largescale so need to break back in gently to avoid `burnout` occurring again.

When my camera charges up I will post a photo or two of the progress to date (assuming one can still post photographs on postings).

Attachments

• spa.JPG
    spa.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 86
  • spb.JPG
    spb.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 80
  • spd.JPG
    spd.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 75
  • spc.JPG
    spc.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 104

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
The Southern Pacific narrow-gauge used three 4-6-0's, #8 and #9 with inside valve gear and #18 with Walschaerts valve gear. I chose the cab number (#25) as it was an existing cab from a previous project and I simply only wanted the 'look' of an SP loco to run with numerous Southern Pacific pieces of rolling stock that I have.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Best answers
Country flag
Ireland
You're a devil with the Dremel Tim ;) Plastic surgery at its best. Look forward to some pics when its finished.

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Mick,
it has been a couple of years since I last took up the Dremel. I do not know if I am back in the fold or maybe just go back in the shadows. The 'joy' of largescale left me sometime ago and I am just testing the waters to gauge my reinterest.

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Looking really good. I especially admire the pipework, having just added some to my latest build I know how tricky that can be to get right. She looks really sleek.

Just out of interest, will you remove the pipework when you paint?

Rik

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice :)keep us posted on its progress ;)

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
The pipework connected to the cab like water injection lines and turbogenerator piping is removable (allowing the cab to be removed to enable painting of the boiler assembly). The rest of the piping will remain insitu for painting.

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
Nice to see your work again Tim. I am amazed at the speed at which you work, and have enjoyed all your builds over the years, so I hope you find your muse !

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Tim I never cease to be amazed and impressed by your 'productions'. very one of them looks 'right'.
We have missed them over the last 2(!)yrs.

daveyb

badger tickling, sheep worrying
25 Oct 2009
nr st andews scotch land
Best answers
Country flag
yes good to see you back tim,,, always liked your work,,

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
This has the potential to be a handsome engine indeed :p

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Thankyou all. This loco may encourage back into the fold. I simply took on too many projects a couple of years ago and suffered massive burnout. I could not face another largescale train. I have numerous other projects awaiting completion, so possibly may just chisel away and progressively get them to completion.

supagav

USA standard gauge in the late 1960's, in 1:29th.
30 Oct 2009
Oban, Scotland
www.facebook.com
Best answers
I'll second the comments above, that looks like a very interesting project and it's already looking lovely! I particularly like the tender.

I know the feeling of biting off more than you can chew though, and I've had that happen a few times now.

Sometimes its best just to leave it and let the creativity come back, but the trick is knowing when to walk away. I have a USA Trains GP30 that I ripped apart to kit-bash but half way through the inspiration just slipped away. It's now been lying in pieces for almost two years or more! I will get round to bashing it into something soon, but luckily for me it will quite happily wait until I'm ready :) With new 3D printing technology coming of age I now have the opportunity to make some pieces to get this project kick-started again, so I think with hindsight that a little break was a good thing. I also find that sometimes my skill levels aren't quite up to tackling a particular project yet so I just leave it and go and do a few other things. I pick up some new tips, tricks and skills along the way and then suddenly it all seems a lot more manageable!

Don't give up, that is already a lovely looking loco! :)

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Gavin,
I have around ten loco projects that basically just need paint to finish. The stumbling block for me was that I wanted a sound decoder in each. With some being articulated, I would need both a sound decoder and a motor only decoder to avoid disconnecting wires joining the motor units to the centre carrier unit (these were too big to lift as one unit). When I factored in the cost to do all of them the price was far beyond realisation and so the projects stalled. I could of cause work my way through them individually, but recouping the financial outlay as regards my utilisation of each loco would not have been economical as most likely they would be shelved once completed.

I feel that I more enjoy the building, rather than the using of the finished product. Many times I have reached a point where I cannot see a way forward with a project and shelve it (basically lose interest). The current SP loco is one such project. I started it several years ago with much gusto. Then the realisation that a new locomotive was needed to furnish the parts to finish it dawned upon me. With an Annie these days selling for upwards of $400.00 locally (gone are the days of the $90.00 Annies and cheap surface mail shipping), I did not consider the project worth completing. A week ago an as new Annie was listed on eBay for a reasonable amount and was snapped up.

The loco will be simply wired just for analogue control as I really do not see the point in fitting a decoder to it. Disassembly at a later date will be very simple with just a few screws as the drive is completely separate from the body.

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
I cannot believe that so many years have elapsed since I commenced this project. A total disinterest in largescale some years ago put all projects in the stalled folder. While my interest has not rejuvenated I have decided to complete most of the projects while I can.

This locomotive was based on SP#18 narrow gauge locomotive and intended to utilise my then growing SP fleet. The tender was completed several years ago, however, the loco itself sat neglected on a shelf and then was cocooned in a cupboard out of sight as it gave me a sense of guilt each time I saw it.

Today, after painting it over the past few weeks I plucked up the courage and assembled it. Ideally the boiler should have been finished in matte spray but as I only had satin onhand that is what was used. The loco required a completely new boiler structure to resemble the SP narrow gauge models. The pilot also was remodelled to suit the SP. I am pleased that another of my creations is finally complete.

spa.JPG spg.JPG spb.JPG sph.JPG

Reactions: 3 users

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Further

spc.JPG spd.JPG spe.JPG spf.JPG

Reactions: 3 users

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Nice - I didn't indulge in such accuracy - just went for the impression

PICT0004.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Great minds think alike. I also was just after the impression of the locomotive. Other than an expensive brass model and an awkward LGB Mogul, the narrow gauge SP is sorely neglected.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Great minds think alike. I also was just after the impression of the locomotive. Other than an expensive brass model and an awkward LGB Mogul, the narrow gauge SP is sorely neglected.
The slim princess indeed :nod::nod::nod: