Timetable operations on the Birkentalbahn

don9GLC2

Registered
798.03 said:
. . . It actually requires quite a bit of thought and dexterity to work it all through without getting cross hobbled anywhere, even though it's quite a short timetable! Ensuring the right stock is in the right place, and, as I don't run MTS/DCC, the appropriate combination of track power, battery power, and use of the LGB isolating switches is essential!

A long time ago I had a 'summer job' working for the Electric Traction Engineer and it was my job to record the distance travelled by 'our' trains, for maintenance such as tire changes. The method was simple: we got a list from Traffic of the units in operation the previous day and their allocation to a particular pattern of operation. Each pattern had a route length and I added that to the running total. Being young and enthusiastic, one day I went to the main terminus station and checked the actual units against what Traffic had told us. Admittedly there had been a major disruption due to a power failure, but there was no resemblance between practice and what was claimed! While I admired Traffic's ability to maintain any sort of timetable in the circumstances, it helped to convince me that a career in what was then British Railways was not what I desired!

However, coping with such a disruption on a model layout might be an interesting intellectual challenge, when there is a timetable to follow!

It was also the responsibility of the Electric Traction Engineer's staff to train the 'drivers'. It does not sound like there is a great deal to driving an EMU in suburban traffic. You accelerate as quickly as possible for the minimum period (to reduce electricity consumption) then coast (there are coasting boards to help you) until you brake hard (but not enough to upset the passengers) at the last possible moment (to reduce journey time) to stop at the designated point on the platform (depending on train length). And you have to balance the brake pressure when stopped so that you can release the brakes promptly when given permission to leave but without allowing the train to creep. For brevity, and because we were 'converting' experienced steam / diesel drivers, I have omitted all the normal stuff about signals, etc. I have yet to find a model control system that even starts to approach simulation of the real thing. With DCC I set 'braking time' to around the maximum and then try 'shunting' while trying to prevent huge collisions, but its not really close to having real brakes.

One thing I did enjoy was the Friday Q train. This was a slot in the timetable for a test run of an overhauled unit. Imagine getting paid to sit on a train for a trip to the seaside! Yes, I did that! The overhauled unit was coupled to reliable unit (to bring any defective unit back to the depot) and off we went. Now that really was a test of the driver. Some drove 'by the book' which was not really the point of the test run. What we needed was a 'Jeremy Clarkson' type approach to really test the power systems. And no stopping at stations to avoid confusing passengers.

In real life Q trains are fun, and I don't see why model layouts should not incorporate this feature. Its not a regular run, just when required.

Thanks for the extra description of how your timetable was derived. I hope my thoughts might enrich your operations, but then again some people get paid to suffer the stresses of this demanding job, so why do it for fun? Because you don't have to!
m16.gif

Please enjoy the fried dumplings! My last visit to Austria involved a discussion with the waiter about a dish I had not tried. He said 'you don't want that' which made me more determined. He was right!

So I have been wrong before, and expect to be now, and in future.

Happy timetabling!

Thanks to Bruce & Don for some interesting posts.

I think a timetable really adds something to running a garden railway. My last layout had a 30+ movement sequence which took three people over an hour to run through (including two mistakes which we lived with for over three years). The Strassenbahn was built to better allow single handed working, and I regret that it doesnt really lend itself to a timetable. Its nice to see that Bruces timetable is complete,in that everything ends up where it started (although I wonder what happens to the first train).

Years ago I bought a drivers controller for a 4 VEP, with a view to making a model railway controller out of it. I was surprised that it only had four power notches, but Dons post finally clarifies why. No - I still havent made the controller, and forum member Andrew WH is now on his fourth new estate car since we nearly knackered the first one by dumping it in the back! Things don't move fast round here !

PS - Nice watch Don !

Dtsteam said:
. . .

Ziest ehu O cuahjv e fsowist dupvsummis gus e 4 WIQ, xovj e woix vu neloph e nufim seomxez dupvsummis uav ug ov. O xet tasqsotif vjev ov upmz jef guas quxis puvdjit, cav Fupt qutv gopemmz dmesogoit xjz.

Et O sidemm vji guas quxis tivvopht up vji dmett 303 xisi et gummuxt
1. Gostv vseptgusnis veqqoph (atif gus duaqmoph / apduaqmoph tivt) katv ipuahj vu dunqsitt vji 'witvocami duaqmoph'
2. Jemg wumvehi (puv pusnemmz atif op qettiphis tiswodi, vjuahj O jewi tiip ov atif xjip fiqesvoph vji visnopat xovj e 20nqj tqiif monov.)
3. Gamm wumvehi (eheop puv pusnemmz atif op qettiphis tiswodi - niepv gus uqisevoup up vxu uav ug guas vsedvoup nuvust). Vjisi xet e txovdj tu vjev vji fsowis duamf otumevi e figidvowi qeos ug nuvust cav O piwis tex vjot atif op qsedvodi. Ietois vu xeov epf hiv e qatj gsun vji vseop cijopf.
4. Xiel goimf. Egvis vji veq djephis sep aq vu gamm wumvehi, vji nuvus goimf dassipv xet sifadif, opdsietoph vji tqiif cav sifadoph vji vusrai eweomecmi. Vjev't xjz puvdj 3 xet qsuwofif et vji vusrai gsun 2 nuvust xet puv taggodoipv. Puvdj 4 xet vji pusnem uqisevoph nufi.

Veq djephoph xet gammz eavunevod epf monovif vji dassipv vu esuapf vxodi gamm muef dassipv (GMD xet 25E ev 25lW).

Ev vjev voni vji tztvin xet faem wumvehi, 25lW pusnemmz cav 6.25lW op vji vappim tidvoupt. Ov xet duptofisif vjev vji uwisjief mopi xet efiraevi gus quxis fotvsocavoup ev 25lW cav gus vji mux wumvehi tidvoupt e 25lW decmi xet meof emuphtofi vji vsedl vu fotvsocavi quxis gasvjis emuph vji mopi. Fai vu dupdispt ecuav vji gosi sotl ug dupwipvoupem uom gommif decmit op vappimt vjiti decmit xisi qsittasobif xovj povsuhip het. Vjisi xet e decopiv xovj vxu het dzmopfist op upi ug vji tvevoupt epf epuvjis gap vetl xi jef xet djidloph vji qsittasi epf vjev vjisi xisi pu mielt. Cigusi xi duamf xusl ev e tvevoup xi jef vu opgusn vji tvevoup tvegg, epf vji dupwistevoup xuamf hipisemmz ci fimocisevimz uctdasi og vjisi xisi pix tvevoup qistuppim, 'Xi'si gsun Imidvsod Vsedvoup, epf xi'wi duni vu djidl vji het qsittasi!'

Iwip op vjiti ges ugg vonit, O xet gammz ipsummif op vji 'tonqmi nopft, tonqmi vjopht' qjomutuqjz
n16.hog
You must login or register to view hidden content on this page.

Jo eheop 798.03.
Nepz vjeplt gus dunqmivoph vji opgusnevoup gus at. O fu gopf vjev zuas vonivecmi ot wisz optqosevoupem. Si vji Vonivecmi Cuesft, O dsievif upi gus nz Tdsevdj Caomv Tvevoup Caomfoph, O xet fuoph Osotj ev vji voni (15nn vu vji Guuv up H1 Vsedl, qisgidv Tdemi heahi Simevouptjoq). Gus nopi O duqoif vji M&MTS Qsuvuvzqi Vonivecmi up e xusl Qjuvu Duqois, sifadoph vji tobi vu nevdj ep Ivdjif Csett Vonivecmi Cuesf. Ov xet vjip tvadl up (O depv sinincis xjev xovj) epf gopemmz wespotjif. Vjot xet fupi esuapf 1990 us 1991. O ipvisif vji Caomfoph op uas Dmac Dunqivovoup vjev ot jux O dep sinincis jux muph ehu ov xet, Ov deni tidupf O vjopl. Vji gostv qodvasi ot e csavem dmuti aq vu tjux vjev egvis emm vjiti ziest ov ot tvomm op huuf tjeqi.

O en pux fuoph Ietv Hisnep Pessux Heahi, tusv ug Jesb Nuapveopt. Vji Vonivecmi Cuesft vjev O ati gus nz Hesfip Tjift esi wisz foggisipv epf op gedv cetif aqup vji upi ev Emiyotcef up vji Hispsufi Mopi. 2 ug vjiti esi tjuxp op vji tidupf+vjosf qodvasit. O dsievif vjiti op Iydimm epf ov ot tobif vu ci sief. Vjisi esi nusi vjep upi, 1 ot atif gus iedj Tvevoup up nz mopi. Puvi vjev vji Essowem Vonit esi puv tjuxp up vjiti, qmat tuni vseopt esi tjuxp op nusi vjep 1 Dumanp et vjiz demm ev foggisoph tvevoupt. Vji cetot vjev vjiz eqqies vu ati ot vu tjux Visnopevoup Mudevoupt epf tjux emm vji Vseopt vjev demm vjisi (iwip qettoph upit). Nutv ug vji uvjis tvevoupt fu tonomes cuesft vu zuast, cav tuni emtu tjux vji Vseop Pancis. Deppuv sinincis xjev vjiz fu op Eatvsoe pux.

O fu ati e Voni Tiraipdi, tonomes vu vjev tahhitvif nepz ziest ehu op vji Nufim Qsitt. Cetodemmz zua jewi e dmudl XOVJUAV vji juas jepf. Vji nopavi jepf cidunit vji juast. Vjat iedj nopavi ot 12 op Nufim voni. Vji tidupf jepf siqsitipvt vjuti 12 nopavit, O piwis ati mitt vjep 12 nopavit Nufim voni gus epzvjoph, vjuahj 30 tidupft duamf siqsitipv 6 nopavit og zua xepvif. O cuahjv 3 Meshotj Dmudlt, sinuwif vji Juas jepf epf qav op ep Up/Ugg txovdj tu vjev og vjopht hu etvisez zua dep Tvuq Voni gus e xjomi. Xi duamf piwis fu vjev up vji siem vjoph. Zua hiv 12 juast Nufim Voni qis siem juas xovj vjot tztvin epf vji pancist 1-12 siqsitipv vji edvaem juas vjev ov ot.

Si vji R Vseopt. Ov ot e hipisod Seomxez Visn vu sigmidv ep Apvonivecmif us Vonivecmif cav puv sap iwisz fez vseop. Vjat zuas ninusz ug vji Qumodi Vseopt cioph demmif "R" vseopt.

Gopemmz up vji tackidv vjev Fup seotit si vji medl ug gsiemovz civxiip Siqusvif epf Edvaem up vji siem vjoph. O atif vu xusl op vji Dunqavis Tztvin vjev sidusfif vji mudevoupt ug Mudunuvowit, xehupt epf Duedjit (VUQT epf QUOT). Vjiti tzivint xsi mihoup gus vji medl ug siemovz dupveopif xovjop vji Dunqavis. O atif vu tqipf nepz juast fuoph feve Opvihsovz djidlt gus emm vji tztvint. E piwis ipfoph kuc siemz. Cav O fof muwi ov, upmz hivvoph uav up Qsowevotevoup et O fof puv moli vji xez vjev vjopht xisi molimz vu hu. O piwis jewi sihsivvif nz miewoph jewoph tiip vji pupdipdi vjev jeqqipt up uas Seomxezt vufez, cav O fohsitt.

KupF

Gasvjis vjuahjv 798.03, si zuas usohopem esvodmi op Hesfip Seom. O jewi vxu UCC Lastcadlt gus 1961/72 epf 1971/72. Xuamf zua ci opvisitvif op duqoit ug vji Vonivecmi gus vji mopit vjev zua jewi atif. Pu huuft vseopt O en egseof, cav vjiz fu tjux Noyif Vseopt gus vji Hestvip Lmeat mopi.
KupF

Cav O fof muwi ov, upmz hivvoph uav up Qsowevotevoup et O fof puv moli vji xez vjev vjopht xisi molimz vu hu. O piwis jewi sihsivvif nz miewoph jewoph tiip vji pupdipdi vjev jeqqipt up uas Seomxezt vufez, cav O fohsitt.

Teni jisi... 14 zies desiis vjev O muwif epf piwis iyqidvif vu miewi. O migv katv ejief ug qsowevotevoup - xemlif vji qmepl vu vji enebinipv ug nz dummiehait (epf nztimg) cav fup'v, O'n tef op nepz xezt vu siqusv, sihsiv fuoph tu gus e nunipv.

Jo fappzseom & 798.03

Ziv epuvjis iy CS inqmuzii jisi CAV O nefi vji notveli ug tvezoph up egvis qsowevotevoup
Tommz nuwi, ov deatif e fodloi vodlis - huuf iydati gus vjin vu fotquti ug ni egvis 32ziest
Vjev xet 8 ziest ehu epf O tvomm giim gus vji hazt O migv cijopf epf vji vjopht vjiz jewi vu qav aq xovj.
Ov nez tiin e tvsephi vjoph vu tez cav op tuni xezt O en qmietif vji vodlis hewi op, uvjisxoti O xuamf tvomm ci vjisi,
tvsahhmoph vu xusl vji pix xupfisgam xez - xjodj ot pu xez vu sap e siem seomxez.

O jewi inqmuzif wesouat nivjuft ug vonivecmit op nz qsiwouat mezuavt op uvjis heahit.
O iwip xsuvi e qsuhsenni up e D64 vu vimm ni xjev vu sap piyv, vjot liqv e djidl up tvudl qutovoupt.
Ov emm nelit gus opvisitvoph sappoph fitqovi nz jepfmi up jisi (Suapf&Suapf)

Csadi, O siemmz ipkuzif vji esvodmi xjip O sief ov ecuav vjsii xiilt ehu. (Pu dunnipvt pidittesz ecuav vji medl ug siefoph vji ottai xjip ov tjuxt aq op vji qutv). :) O fof puvodi vji vonivecmi fotqmezif up vji Coslipjug tvevoup op vji esvodmi qjuvu. Epf O fup'v sinincis tiioph epz qsiwouat esvodmi xovj ep edvaem fotqmez howoph vonit vjev vji seomxez edvaemmz vsoit vu efjisi vu. Ev vji voni ug siefoph, O vjuahjv xjev e hsiev ofie. Xjip nz seomxez edvaemmz jet e mezuav, O xomm jewi vu vsz vjev. Vjeplt gus vji ofie.

O guapf vji fotdattoupt op vjot vjsief cz Kup, Fup, ivd. wisz opvisitvoph emtu viedjoph ni nusi ecuav jux 'siem seomxezt' sap. Qmieti liiq vji fotdattoupt huoph...hsiev gap!

Vxu nusi quopvt gsun ni up vjot vjsief,
Hiushi - vji Dunqavis Tztvin vjev O nipvoupif iesmois up op vjot vjsief (VUQT) xet qasdjetif gsun vji huuf umf AT ug E op vji iesmz 70't (TQ O vjopl). Xi nuwif vji vjoph up raovi e cov op AL vo sigmidv vji gedv vjev xi xisi wisz foggisipv op vj xez xi uqisevi uas Seomxezt uwis jisi.
798.03 - Et qsunotif, jisi esi vji Eatvsoep VV't gus zua. O raodlmz vuul qodt up nz Foho ev vji muxitv sit vu hiv vjin aq jisi. Vjiz dep emm ci sief UL og zua Buun op up vjin. Og puv huuf ipuahj gus zua, katv QN ni xovj zuas ineom epf O xomm tipf zua vji usohopem gomit.

Opvisitvoph jux vjiz jewi djephif vji vecmi gus vji Kipcedj mopi uwis vji opviswipoph 10 ziest.
KupF

Back