Trestle

skycap

Registered
Today I finished a trestle for a section of my line that had been supported with pebbles and bricks. I have a RH Billy kit coming next week and wanted to be sure this was done in advance. I wasn't trying to be prototypical I just needed something functional and sturdy. I built a jig to make 3 legged bents. I used cedar in their construction. I then ripped cedar strips for cross members. The top of my bents is a straight piece to which I secured the track through the ties with stainless steel screws. I measured the required vertical height of each bent to the rail bed at each location before securing them to the track as described previously. . I was able to place the top of the bents on the fence of my table saw and cut each to the required length by cross cutting. Once secured I then started with the crossmembers which were installed with waterproof glue and 3 x 20 mm socket head self tapping screws which I found on eBay. Each member required pre drilling the ends and applying glue prior to installation. I did not stain before assembly as I was concerned about the glue not adhering properly. This method allows building as you go for a custom fit. Now it's time to backfill and mulch and build my Billy with a slow mo unit.IMG_3348.JPG IMG_3349.JPG IMG_3350.JPG IMG_3351.JPG I just came in from staining and this is the result.
You must login or register to view hidden content on this page.

Last edited:
Back