Lgb White Pass Alco Locomotive Wheel Slippage

AlanL

Registered
1 Mar 2016
Northampton
Best answers
Country flag
A photo of my 8-wheel Alco. The centre axle wheels are mostly hidden by the bogie side-frame and their ommision is hardly noticable unless you get down and look closely.

Alan

Alco 3.jpg

markrussell1966

I Love Live Steam
24 Nov 2013
Worcestershire
Best answers
Country flag
United-Kingdom
A photo of my 8-wheel Alco. The centre axle wheels are mostly hidden by the bogie side-frame and their ommision is hardly noticable unless you get down and look closely.

Alan

View attachment 209685
This makes sense. The pivot point of the front bogie is towards the rear, hence the traction tyre does nothing if the centre wheels force the traction tyred wheel off the track which is the rear axle in the front bogie.
I will investigate further at the weekend.
Thanks
Mark

markrussell1966

I Love Live Steam
24 Nov 2013
Worcestershire
Best answers
Country flag
United-Kingdom
This makes sense. The pivot point of the front bogie is towards the rear, hence the traction tyre does nothing if the centre wheels force the traction tyred wheel off the track which is the rear axle in the front bogie.
I will investigate further at the weekend.
Thanks
Mark
This has worked a treat! Now pulls 14 double bogie wagons no problem. I am happy with it but it does beg the question "why should you have to remove the centre axles for the loco to function properly?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Armenia
You mean the technical reason? I think it has been established that the weight distribution, well, sucks.

Or do you mean the reason like "I bought this thing and how come I have to modify it to make it right?" LGB has never been famous for pulling power.

Greg

AlanL

Registered
1 Mar 2016
Northampton
Best answers
Country flag
Great to hear that your Alco now pulls realistic long trains, that loco needs long trains.
Perhaps it is the weight distribution, a standard LGB Alco is driving on 2 axles like an 0-4-0. The difference in tractive effort between a modified and standard Alco is huge
I may be tempted to look at finding a way of replacing the idler centre axle without affecting it's performance. At the moment though I'm too busy watching it hauling long trains!

markrussell1966

I Love Live Steam
24 Nov 2013
Worcestershire
Best answers
Country flag
United-Kingdom
Great to hear that your Alco now pulls realistic long trains, that loco needs long trains.
Perhaps it is the weight distribution, a standard LGB Alco is driving on 2 axles like an 0-4-0. The difference in tractive effort between a modified and standard Alco is huge
I may be tempted to look at finding a way of replacing the idler centre axle without affecting it's performance. At the moment though I'm too busy watching it hauling long trains!
I think that you could just remove the plastic piece on the axle and re-insert the axle. It would have totally free movement up and down but I don't think that would cause a problem.

AlanL

Registered
1 Mar 2016
Northampton
Best answers
Country flag
That is worth a try, could be an easy fix.