Rerailer

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Yup, I have one of those..

Happy to look at this when I'm back from holiday next week.

Think re-railing a 30 pound gauge 1 American live-steamer, or a similarly hefty Accucraft K27. And the nightmare of wriggly wheelsets - the Accucraft NG/G16 Beyer-Garratt......

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
As ever, memory was playing tricks. It would seem it came with a job lot that I once purchased. Having dug it out, it's a simple sheet of steel, 600mm long, pressed into a suitably tapered profile (high to low and wide to narrow) where the bottom edge has a centre depression that fits neatly between G scale rails (to which I have added insulating tape in case it needs to be used while the rails are powered). That channel is wider at the top so that rolling stock can be placed anywhere in the wider part of the channel and it just rolls off the bottom onto the rails. How suitable it would be for long locos with wheels that don't freely rotate is less clear but presumably they could be pushed down it with the same effect.

The good news is that there is a label on the underside saying where further examples could be bought. The bad news is that the most recent online reference to that name and address (for aids to build three-rail O gauge pointwork!) dates from 2010 . . . so it seems very unlikely that they can still be bought.

View attachment 329324View attachment 329325

Now, who knows someone with a metal fabrication business???

Sorry! Just noticed this topic is in the 3D Printing section, so my apologies for dragging it in a different direction.

Cheers

David
I rang Mr Wood today to see if he still made his re-railer, but he has now retired and sold all his old stock.

Looks like the Piko one would be the best option for my friend John's Piko Class 24 steam loco....