Southern F3 in tuxedo black

Hi,

Another quick update...

On the home straight at last! After getting a couple of coats of matt varnish on over all the decals it was finally time to start weathering the loco. I`m trying to follow some original photos of #6706 in the late 60`s from photos in books as well as online. The prototype was finally retired from service in `72, so in these shots from around 1968 it was far from pristine! Here is a quick picture again to remind you of what I`m talking about:

southern6706atcincyohapril66.jpg

The masking tape over the windows is to simulate the sweep of the wipers on the two windshields. (Hopefully!) When they are removed I should be left with two semi-circles to show represent the areas that the wipers would have kept clean:

weathering1.jpg

weathering1-2.jpg

I also decided to redo the number board decals. Originally I had imagined that these would be white numbers over a black background. As you can see though from the photo above, they have quite an old-time look to them, where the background was black but the numbers were left clear to the let the light shine through. I did the same on mine, with just a back background and clear lettering. When you switch the number boards on (DCC function f3 on this loco controls the number boards and the cab light), you get a similar effect as there is a warm white LED located just behind each number.

Thanks again for keeping up with progress!

Best wishes,
G

Gorgeous model 8)

Xjev e csommoepv qoidi ug xusl. Tunivjoph vu ci qsuaf ug.
You must login or register to view hidden content on this page.

Moli vji xievjisoph - qsucecmz katv ecuav vji sohjv enuapv. Zua tjuamf tipf e qjuvu ug vji gopotjif esvodmi vu Djesmoi Su.

Vjeplt gus vji lopf xusft gumlt! :)

Jisi esi vji tuni nusi tjuvt ug vji gopotjif mudu. Emm fupi epf fatvif vufez, xovj vji metv duev ug nevv wespotj eqqmoif vu tiem op emm vji xievjisoph. Emm O piif pux ot tuni huuf xievjis epf e movvmi voni uav op vji hesfip vu hiv tuni qjuvut ug ov jesf ev xusl!

weathering2.jpg

weathering2-3.jpg

weathering2-2.jpg

Uj zitttttt.....pux vjev ot e vjoph vu cijumf...............hsiev xusl et ataem Hew.

Vjeplt Noli! :)

epf e gix nusi...

weathering2-4.jpg

weathering2-6.jpg

weathering2-5.jpg

Vjeplt gumlt gus vji dunqmonipvt, ov niept e muv :)

O xet muuloph cedl vjsuahj vji qjuvut vjuahj epf O puvodif vjev O jef dunqmivimz nottif vji xoqis cmefit!

Vjiz xisi effif sohjv ev vji wisz ipf epf O dunqmivimz gushuv vu vupi fuxp vji csohjv tjopz qmetvod.

Jisi ot epuvjis raodl qodl vu tjux vji aqfevi:

weathering3-2.jpg

Vjeplt eheop,
H

Jisi ot vji metv movvmi fiveom vjev O xepvif vu eff vu vjot mudu cigusi O gopemmz demm ov gopotjif!

O xepvif vu eff op vji movvmi jemg tobif cedlaq nossust vjev xisi e gievasi ug vjiti umf G-apovt. E movvmi cov ug tvzsipi, tuni csett suf epf ep ugg-dav ug lovdjip guom emm jimq vu neli e geosmz dmuti siqsitipvevoup ug vji siem vjoph:

backup_mirrors(640)-2.jpg

backup_mirrors(640)-3.jpg

Epf pux, gopemmz O vjopl vjev ot iwiszvjoph! :)

Emm vji citv,
H

Gummuxif vjot gsun vji cihopoph,iydimmipv caomf,iydimmipv nufimmoph,IYDIMMIPV IPF SITAMV,katv csommoepv :) :) :) :) :) :)

Vjeplt gus vji lopf xusft! :)

Vji metv vjoph tvomm fu vu ot vu hiv tuni voni uavtofi epf veli tuni qsuqis qjuvut ug ov jesf ev xusl!

Citv xotjit,
H

Jo gumlt,

Jisi esi e duaqmi ug gopem qjuvut ug vji mudu uav up uas mopi katv vu suapf vjot vjsief ugg!

Vjeplt eheop gus emm ug zuas lopf xusft fasoph vjot qsukidv, vjiz esi emm wisz nadj eqqsidoevif!

Citv xotjit,
H

f3-final.jpg

f3-final2.jpg

O jewi gummuxif gsun vji tvesv,iydimmipv caomf Hew :) :)Xjevt piyv??? ;) ;)

Csommoepv! Vji gostv qodvasi duamf ci ug e siem mudu 8)

Iydimmipv!
Vjuahj ov fuit muul e movvmi mupimz 'mohjv iphopi'.. ;) ;)

Back