Wroxham Miniature Worlds

Gizzy said:
We also visited Merrivale Model Village in Great Yarmouth over the weekend.

Again, we found it to be good fun and we enjoyed looking around. The layout uses mainly LGB track and trains, with a few of the newer items being Piko. It is a large twin track oval and has 4 trains running, 2 on each circuit that are switched alternatively at the station, using LGB track components and point motors. The gardens and plants were being maintained by a dedicated team of 3 gardeners (even on the Sunday and during heavy showers), and the blooms really set off the whole scene.
The last time I visited Merrivale was around 50 years ago. I remember that for some reason then they had modified a couple of their steam outline locos to diesels but had simply put new bodies on to the old steam loco chassis and then removed all but the centre driving wheels. So they had a bogie at each end and one large driving wheel in between. It seemed a very odd thing to do even then. Not sure how that wheel arrangement would be described - Bo-1-Bo - B-Ao-B - 4-2-4?

Rik

Gizzy said:
We also visited Merrivale Model Village in Great Yarmouth over the weekend.

We visited the Merrivale attraction a couple of years back and I had a chance to have a long chat behind the scenes with the guy who is in charge of running the layout (his name escapes me at the mo).

He showed me the complete roster of rolling stock and his copious collection of packets of LGB spares (they apparently get through pick-up skates ant an alarming rate!).
There were also a few locos that needed new gearing and wheels (again the packets of spares were there). The layout was powered a couple of Jumbo controllers as I remember.
The owner was an LGB fan apparently......

Gizzy is totally correct about the upkeep of the flowers etc. All in all it is an enjoyable visit if you are in the area.
You must login or register to view hidden content on this page.

Back