Reusing/repackaging NiMH batteries

Hi Max,

good luck trying to get the ESU to fit the motherboard - the ESU LS4L you appear to be using may have the correct pins to fit the Bachmann motherboard but unless I was doing something dumb (always a possibility) the 5XL (pin header version) pins did not suit the socket in the Bachmann motherboard.

I swapped this unit for a 5XL with terminals but despite modifying the internal space between the tanks I could not get it to sit down satisfactorily (the steam dome/sand dome section would not sit down properly) hence moving the decoder and the RC receiver to the bunker.

This is how it all fits before closing up the back wall of the cab:

20240825_124316.jpg

Notice how the four-pole double throw switch, RCA connector and charging socket are all offset in the aluminium plate fitted below the bunker mounts - the decoder is slotted into a notch on the fireman's side of the bunker and screwed to a styrene packer on the right in this upside down view. The CVP Airwire receiver is attached via velcro to the inside of the back cab wall - the 4 way plug is the feed from the battery and the return from track out of the decoder. The ten pin (white) connector is the decoder outputs for lights, speaker output, etc.

The unit is almost finished - just has to have some weathering over the decals that arrived Monday:

20240912_221717[1].jpg

If you are interested in the schematics of how I wired it I can scan them and post tomorrow,

Cheers,

NB: Interested in your "Keep Off" signs on the tanks - given that's where I would be standing when filling the sand dome............ :)

(I fire and drive 3'6"gauge steam at Victoria's Bellarine Railway - no Mallets with ex-South African 24 Class #3620 our largest engine currently in regular service)
You must login or register to view hidden content on this page.

Back